Connect Gujarat
World

The death toll of typhoon in Philippines rose to 375, 56 people still missing

On Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported 58 deaths, with only four confirmed victims

The death toll of typhoon in Philippines rose to 375, 56 people still missing
X

According to a police report, the dead toll from the devastating typhoon Rai that hit the Philippines last week has risen to 375, with 56 people still missing.

"The increase of casualties is subject to validation from the affected regions," Xinhua news agency quoted the Philippine National Police`s (PNP) latest report as saying.

According to the report, the 15th and most damaging storm to hit the Southeast Asian country this year killed people in Central Visayas and the Caraga district of Mindanao island's north-eastern part.

On Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported 58 deaths, with only four confirmed victims. According to the agency, 18 persons are still missing.

According to Bohol Governor Arthur Yap, 94 people died and at least 18 more were missing in Bohol, one of the hardest-hit provinces in the central Philippines by typhoon Rai.

According to the country's disaster-response organisation, the typhoon has displaced 442,424 people and affected about 1 million people.

It stated the initial estimate of agricultural damage is 118.28 million pesos ($2 million) and infrastructural damage is 225.17 million pesos ($4 million).

The typhoon made landfall on Siargao Island, off the eastern coast of Mindanao Island in the southern Philippines, on December 16.

Rai slammed on the Philippines for three days, bringing flooding and landslides and wreaking havoc in the central and southern Philippines, including certain parts of the major island of Luzon.

"We are still assessing the damage, but it is huge. The typhoon levelled the entire community to the ground, no electricity, water, and food," said Defense Secretary and NDRRMC Chairman Delfin Lorenzana.

He stated that the administration is now dealing with the food and water shortages, as well as giving medical attention to those who have been hurt.

"I have directed the armed forces to deploy all available assets such as ships, boats, aircraft, and trucks to bring relief goods to the stricken areas and the deployment of troops if necessary," Lorenzana said.

Meanwhile, 29 foreign nationals have been evacuated from Siargao Island, which is famous for surfing, according to NDRRMC spokeswoman Mark Timbal.

"The tourists have been identified, and they are in good condition," he added.

Next Story
Share it