Vegan tandoori naan burger with corainder raita
- For Tandoori burgers.
- 1 cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight, then cooked till tender, sub with three cups of canned beans, rajma.
- 1 medium russet potato boiled until tender and peeled.
- ½ cup walnuts chopped really fine in a food processor.
- 2 tsp onion powder sub with ¼ cup minced fresh onions.
- 1 tsp garlic powder sub with 1 tsp garlic paste.
- 1 tsp ginger powder sub with 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp paprika ( adds a fabulous color – we are not using any food coloring usually used in tandoori spices to give that orange red color)
- ½ tsp cayenne optional
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves minced
- 2 tbsp kasoori methi crushed, dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp chaat masala sub with 1 tbsp lemon juice
- For coriander raita:
- 6 oz silken firm tofu
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced coriander leaves
- 1 green chili like Serrano, deseeded if you’re sensitive to heat
- Salt to taste
- Make the burgers :
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes and then add the beans and mash them coarsely. Don’t smash the beans into a paste because you want some texture.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well, Very clean hands are the best way to get in the bowl and make sure all of the flavor’s spread all around.
- Form the beans into patties, I made six hefty patties but you can shape them smaller if you have a mind to.
- Spray a nonstick griddle with some oil spray and when hot , grill the patties over medium high heat until brown – black spots appear, Flip over and grill the other side.
- Make the naan buns:
- Use this recipe to make the naan bread dough , break off enough of the dough to from a one – inch ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the naan slightly larger then the diameter of your burger ( you want to do this because the dough can spring back a little).
- On a very hot griddle, spray some oil and grill the naan on each side until golden – brown spots appear, the naan will rise and become a little puffy on the griddle, which is great.
- Make the coriander raite:
- Blitz all of the raita ingredients in a blender until smooth
- Assemble the burger:
- Slather on some of the coriander raita on the naan bun, layer on some leafies onions and tomatoes, if you please and the burger patty Eat.