Connect Gujarat
Sports

Benjamin Mendy, a Manchester City footballer released on bail after seven charges of rape

After a bail hearing at Chester Crown Court, Mendy, who was accused of assaulting five women between October 2020 and August 2021, was bailed

Benjamin Mendy, a Manchester City footballer released on bail after seven charges of rape
X

Benjamin Mendy, a Manchester City footballer who has been accused with rape and sexual assault, was released on bail on Friday.

After a bail hearing at Chester Crown Court, the 27-year-old man accused of assaulting five women between October 2020 and August 2021 was released. Since being detained and charged on August 26 of last year, he has been in detention for 134 days.

Judge Patrick Thompson granted bail to the French international after a closed session from which the press was barred while bail was discussed. The defendant was supposed to stand trial this month, but it has been postponed until June 27 at the earliest.

Mendy was given bail until his next court appearance on January 24, according to Judge Thompson. The complete bail conditions were not disclosed in open court, but according to a skysports report, the footballer was told he must live at his home address, not contact the accuser, and surrender his passport by midnight on Friday.

"OK," Mendy said to the judge, dressed in a black suit and white shirt.

The defendant, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, Cheshire, is accused of eight charges of rape involving four women and one allegation of sexual assault against five distinct women.

Three counts of rape are said to have occurred on October 11, 2020; sexual touching is alleged to have occurred on January 2, 2021; two counts of rape are supposed to have occurred on July 24, 2021; and two counts of rape are alleged to have occurred on August 23, 2021.

Mendy has been a member of Manchester City since joining from Monaco in 2017. After being charged by police, he was suspended by the club awaiting an inquiry.

Next Story
Share it