Make Restaurant style dam aloo at home
Dam aloo is one of the classic Indian dishes served in a meal. It can be served with plain paratha, lachha paratha, naan, puri or roti.
Ingredients for dam aloo
- 10 to 12 baby potatoes
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- ½ inch ginger
- 3-4 garlik
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- ½ table spoon turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon red chilli
- 1 table spoon coriander powder
- 2 table spoon coriander leaves
- 1.5 cup water
- ½ table spoon lemon juice
- ½ garam masala
- 1 table spoon fennel powder
- 2 table spoon cashews
- 1 cup curd
Method to make Dam aloo
- Rinse the baby potatoes and wipe them dry.
- Heat oil in a pan. You can shallow fry, deep fry or pan fry until golden.
- Grind the soaked cashew to a smooth paste. grind the onions, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. also blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree.
- heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil. add the black cardamom and cinnamon. fry till the oil becomes fragrant and then add the onion-ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute until the paste thickens and raw smell goes away.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Saute until the onion tomato masala begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Then add fresh curd.
- now add the cashew paste.
- now add approx 1.5 cups of water. bring the gravy to a boil.
- add fried potatoes and simmer for some 4-5 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Bring the gravy to a boil. Cover and cook on a very low flame for 5 mins.
- Add crushed kasuri methi. Cook for just a minute. Switch off.
- Garnish dum aloo with some chopped coriander leaves and serve