Dam aloo is one of the classic Indian dishes served in a meal. It can be served with plain paratha, lachha paratha, naan, puri or roti.
Ingredients for dam aloo
– 10 to 12 baby potatoes
– 1 tomato
– 1 onion
– ½ inch ginger
– 3-4 garlik
– 2 cardamom
– 1 inch cinnamon
– ½ table spoon turmeric powder
– 1 table spoon red chilli
– 1 table spoon coriander powder
– 2 table spoon coriander leaves
– 1.5 cup water
– ½ table spoon lemon juice
– ½ garam masala
– 1 table spoon fennel powder
– 2 table spoon cashews
– 1 cup curd
Method to make Dam aloo
– Rinse the baby potatoes and wipe them dry.
– Heat oil in a pan. You can shallow fry, deep fry or pan fry until golden.
– Grind the soaked cashew to a smooth paste. grind the onions, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. also blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree.
– heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil. add the black cardamom and cinnamon. fry till the oil becomes fragrant and then add the onion-ginger-garlic paste.
– Saute until the paste thickens and raw smell goes away.
– Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and garam masala.
– Saute until the onion tomato masala begins to leave the sides of the pan.
– Then add fresh curd.
– now add the cashew paste.
– now add approx 1.5 cups of water. bring the gravy to a boil.
– add fried potatoes and simmer for some 4-5 minutes till the gravy thickens.
– Bring the gravy to a boil. Cover and cook on a very low flame for 5 mins.
– Add crushed kasuri methi. Cook for just a minute. Switch off.
– Garnish dum aloo with some chopped coriander leaves and serve