Nutritious Diwali snacks for kids to enjoy
Diwali, the festival of lights, is a time of vibrant celebrations, traditional rituals, and delectable treats
Diwali, the festival of lights, is a time of vibrant celebrations, traditional rituals, and delectable treats.
For parents, ensuring that their children enjoy the festivities while maintaining a healthy diet can be a challenge.
To strike a balance between indulgence and nutrition, here’s a guide to nutritious Diwali festive foods for kids.
1. Roasted Chana (Chickpeas): Roasted chickpeas are a protein-packed, crunchy snack. You can season them with a pinch of salt, chaat masala, or a mix of spices for a flavourful twist.
2. Khajur Ladoo (Date and Nut Balls): These naturally sweet treats are made by blending dates, nuts, and a hint of cardamom. Roll them into small balls for a delicious, energy-boosting snack.
3. Fruit Chaat: Create a colourful fruit chaat using a variety of seasonal fruits like apples, pomegranates, and oranges. Add a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of chaat masala, and a dash of black salt for a tangy flavour.
4. Makhana (Fox Nuts) Snack: Makhana is a healthy, low-calorie snack. Roast them with a touch of ghee and your choice of spices, such as cumin or black pepper.
5. Whole Wheat Nankhatai: Make nankhatai (Indian shortbread cookies) using whole wheat flour. You can reduce the sugar content and use ingredients like ghee, cardamom, and almond meal for flavour.
6. Baked Mathri: Prepare baked mathri by replacing the frying process with baking. These savoury, flaky snacks can be seasoned with herbs and spices.
6. Baked Samosas: Swap traditional deep-fried samosas for a healthier baked version. Fill them with a mixture of spiced potatoes, peas, and other vegetables.
7. Ragi (Finger Millet) Chips: Ragi chips are a nutritious and gluten-free option. Thinly slice ragi rotis, season with spices, and bake until crispy.
8. Mini Dhokla: Steam mini dhoklas made from a mix of rice and lentil flour, fermented with yogurt. Serve them with a side of mint-coriander chutney.
9. Fruit Yogurt Parfait: Create colourful yogurt parfaits by layering Greek yogurt with fresh fruits like mango or pomegranate seeds. Add a drizzle of honey and crushed nuts for a nutritious dessert.