Five-year-old girl dies of rabies in Surat
The girl had developed severe symptoms of rabies on February 25 after which she was admitted to the hospital
In a rare case, a five-year-old girl died due to a rabies infection during treatment at SMIMER Hospital on Tuesday.
The girl had developed severe symptoms of rabies on February 25 after which she was admitted to the hospital.
The family of the deceased said that their daughter Khushi Photographer was not bitten by a dog. But added that she might have come in contact with a dog six months ago.
The family members told the health officials of Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) that a dog may have licked Khushi's wound when she fell down while playing.
According to SMC officials, the girl was first taken to a private hospital and after confirmation that she was infected with rabies she shifted to SMIMER Hospital.
Sources in Ahmedabad civil hospital said that cases of rabies were rare. The last reported rabies death in Ahmedabad was about seven months ago.
The doctor went on to say that Ahmedabad city reports at least one case of rabies every year. He added that if a dog bite victim develops rabies, death was certain.