During the Coronavirus Pandemic Lockdown, the Medical department of Western Railway has proactively came forward in providing medical help and readying the hospitals to be equipped to face COVID-19. Western Railway’s Jagjivan Ram Hospital turned into a combat zone by providing 172-bed for isolation ward. Till date a total of 555 patients have been treated in this hospital. Out of which, 341 cases were positive and 179 patients have been discharged after cure. Another 150 suspected cases were also discharged after treatment.
By playing an important role in the successfull & effective medical management of Coronavirus pandemic & affected patients, JRH has turned as an elixir of life for many patients and their families. According to a press release issued by WR CPRO Ravinder Bhakar, patients at Jagjivan Ram Hospital are admitted from triage area with proper history and counseling for both patients and relatives. The dedicated team of medical staff, performing as brave corona warriors at the frontline, comprises of Doctors – Dr. Alpa, Dr. Shishir, Dr. Sharan and Dr. Savita, Resident Doctors – Dr. Snehal, Dr. Om, Dr. Siddika, Dr. Sravankumar, Dr. Rhishikesh and Dr. Kalyani alongwith other staff including Shailesh, Ms. Reshma, Sanjay Singh, Ganesh and Raju.
For indoor patients and staff working in isolation wards these are some of the ways JRH is taking of them as well as ways lift their spirits during this tough hour:
1. Hot and cold water dispenser have been arranged for staff and patients. A 20 liters water dispenser has been kept at each ward and 1 liter water bottle is also given to each and every patient daily morning and evening.
2. Delivery of home cooked food arrangement is done for patients thrice a day. The food is given to patients in disposable containers to maintain proper hygiene.
3. Smartphones are provided at each floor for better management of patients. ECG , X-RAY, lab investigation reports etc. are communicated through smart phones. Consultation is also done with outside consultants, thereby developing better communication between isolation team and consultant to manage cases.
4. Patients are making video calls to near and dear ones and the relatives are apprised about the patient’ s health.
5. Doctors, Nursing and other paramedics are doing 8 hrs duty for 7 days followed by 7 days under quarantine and observation.
6. Arrangement of accommodation of 180 staff is done at Mumbai Central, Dadar, Marine Lines and two hotels at Fort. Food arrangements are made for staff and doctors. For transportation of staff, mini bus is also hired.
7. There are teams of doctors and paramedics on each floor. Staff and doctors are doing extraordinary work with full dedication and because of their human touch, empathy and sincere work, a positive environment is created in the isolation ward when dealing with patients and patients feel relaxed.
8. Psychological support is also given by Psychiatrist and Clinical Psychologist by taking rounds and giving counseling by talking to patients to improve their mental health.
Bhakar also stated that while the dedication and hardwork is commendable, it is equally important to protect the protectors and for this special beds are also being kept reserved for hospital staff/ healthcare workers in case they contract the infection while giving care. Provision of air conditioning has been made at more wards where feasible natural ventilation with large windows on opposite sides are available in the rest of the wards.
Jagjivan Ram Hospital staff have received some really good reviews for their unswerving hardwork and dedication through their service. Some of these reviews are as follows where the husband of a cancer patient from NFR who was taking cancer treatment at Tata Hospital, got COVID +ve. Her husband is now cured and discharged and left for West Bengal by Shramik train and they praised the whole team of JRH for giving good care with humanly behavior.
Some patients including a Mumbai Police Constable have posted on social media website – Facebook about the good behavior of staff and top class clinical treatment at JRH. Another patient was so happy after having video call at home and was praising whole team of JRH.
Western Railway salutes the dedicated teams of marvelous corona warriors of Jagjivan Ram Hospital for their splendid determination and valour.