Introduced various pioneering initiatives for conservation of environment
The ‘World Environment Day’ was observed by Western Rly on 5th June, 2020 with this year’s theme ‘Celebrate Biodiversity’ with an aim to spread awareness about conserving the environment.
To mark this occasion WR GM Alok Kansal administered a pledge to Additional GM, all Principal Heads of various Departments, Divisional Rly Managers and other senior railway officers through video conference from his residence in Mumbai, to save plants and took the lead by planting a sapling at his residence.
Kansal said, he believes in the mantra “We should take care of Nature & Nature will take care of us” and he exhorted the same message while addressing the Video Conference on this occasion. He also planted a sapling in the garden of his residential premises on this occasion.
According to a press release issued by WR CPRO Ravinder Bhakar, various specific efforts and initiatives have been undertaken by Western Railway for mitigating environmental impacts and reduce Green House Gas emissions, which have resulted in desired outcomes. In view of the prevailing Covid-19 situation, Western Railway observed the World Environment Day digitally through Video conference along with Power point Presentation, which was presided by General Manager Kansal alongwith Additional GM, all PHODs & DRMs and other senior officers.
Speaking on the occasion of World Environment Day, while addressing the HQ & Divisional officers in a VC, Alok Kansal stressed upon the need to take all possible steps in the day to day working of Railways to conserve environment & find ways to protect Biodiversity. Some of the major issues were discussed included; Reduce Pollution – Solid Waste Disposal Plants, Effluent treatment plants, Conserve resources – Plastic recycling, Conserve Water – rain water harvesting systems, water recycling plants, water audits, Automatic coach washing plants and last but not the least to Conserve Energy – Energy audits, HOG, Sky pipe lighting.
On this occasion, W. Rly’s social media platforms have come out with a motivational video which spreads the message in a subtle manner. In this WR story, Baba Vantastic with his vast knowledge of earthly affairs gives the discourse to this disturbed follower that our human nature should be thoughtful & kind to our “NATURE”. Baba Vantastic motivates people to save the environment for a greener future just as W. Rly has contributed in a big way in preserving the environment and has reiterated their commitment towards this cause.
Bhakar further informed that during the last year 2019-20, W.Rly initiated many activities and programmes to achieve & sustain Environmental Goals. WR ran ‘No Plastic’ campaigns from time-to-time to spread awareness about the ill effects of plastic on the environment. WR encourages single use plastic ban and hence it has banned the use of plastic cups, glasses, plates etc. Mumbai Central station was accredited with ISO 14001:2015 Certification in May 2019.
On the similar line, 38 more stations of Mumbai Central division will acquire ISO 14001:2015 certification shortly. An Effluent Treatment Plant commissioned at Surat with a capacity of 60 KLD for Mechanized Laundry Surat on “Turn Key Basis”. An Effluent Treatment Plant of 1 MLD (million litres per day) already commissioned at Bandra Terminus where waste water is treated and then used for coach washing and other activities. Western Railway has also installed benches made out of recycled plastic bottles at Churchgate station.
Bhakar stated that various activities in this direction were initiated by Mumbai Division of W. Rly, on this occasion, even in the times of Covid-19 pandemic. A Webinar was conducted on 4th June, 2020 regarding Environment Management in Indian Railways by Mr Amit Thakkar, Scientist at Central Pollution Control Board to sensitize and raise awareness among staff and officers alike. Tree plantation drive of saplings of various indigenous species was organised at 10 separate locations to promote biodiversity on the occasion of World Environment Day.
Some of the projects by W. Rly in the pipeline are:
1. The work of recharging and reviving existing dry open wells along with rainwater harvesting facility at Valsad, Bilimora and Udhna is being undertaken.
2. Solar Energy plant of 1 MW capacity to be installed at Bandra Terminus on Power Purchase Agreement with Solar Energy Corporation of India. This will facilitate power procurement at Rs 3.50 per unit as against a much higher rate currently being purchased from various agencies.
3. Installation of Sky pipe day lighting system (182 Nos) at Platforms & PRS of Mumbai Central station.
4. Green Rating Certification & Sun pipe Installation for Valsad Depot.
5. Green Rating Certification of Various Establishments of Western Railway, Mumbai.
6. IGBC Building Certification of Jagjeevan Ram Hospital, DRM Office Building, and CCG HQ building is under process.
7. Certification of environment standard ISO 14001:2015 for 38 NSG/SG stations of Mumbai Central Division along with surveillance audit and training.
8. “Environment Regulatory Requirement under Air Act, Water Act & Hazardous Waste Management Rules and Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 by obtaining due consent to operate or establish or both (as applicable for the units) for 6 Railway Stations.
9. An Automatic Coach Washing Plant is being commissioned at Coaching Depot Mumbai Central.
10. Setting up of waste water treatment plant through Phyto- remediation, Cap-225 KLD on “Turn Key Basis” at Dahisar Railway Colony.
11. Procurement of Eco-friendly disposable Napkins (Face towels) cotton rich spun lace non-woven for Surat & Valsad Depot.
12. Improvement of Maintenance Facilities of EOG Coaches at Mumbai Central and Bandra Terminus.
13. Supply and installation of 128 No. Stainless steel dual pole mounted Dustbin.
World Environment Day is celebrated as an annual event by the people all across the globe on 5th of June every year in order to increase the awareness among people about the environment safety as well as to demonstrate the environmental conservation measures. W. Rly also exhorts its esteemed passengers to join hands with them in this noble cause to dispense their duties in order to conserve our Mother Nature for the better future of our coming generations.