Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) offer a lucrative employment opportunity in various posts through GATE Scores to successful aspirants. The notifications regarding the recruitment are released by the PSUs themselves individually. Many companies offer direct recruitment based on the scores obtained in GATE while some of the Public Sector Companies call aspirants to conduct interviews, group discussions or additional tests too. Various well-known Public Sector Companies which are expected to conduct recruitment through GATE are ONGC, DRDO, Power Grid Corporation Limited, NTPC, BHEL and many others.
The Public Sector Companies generally commence their recruitment process through this examination soon after the registration for the examination is started. The GATE 2020 cut-offs and results are released online on 13th March 2020. The registration process for GATE 2021 will start tentatively by September this year.
To bag a job at these top companies, the candidates are required to check the vacancies as listed by different PSUs through the GATE examination on their official websites.
Types Of PSUs
PSUs in India are generally classified into three types based on different parameters such as Indian Stock exchange, global presence, income generated and annual revenue.
- Maharatna PSUs are – BHEL, IOCL, SAIL, GAIL, and many others.
- Navratna PSUs include names like Oil India Limited, BEL, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited.
- Miniratna PSUs are PEC Limited, THDC India Limited, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, and etc.
- Miniratna PSUs – Category 2: Bharat Pumps & Compressors Ltd., Broadcast Engineering Consultants (I) Limited, and others.
GATE Eligibility Criteria For PSU Recruitments
The recruitment in PSUs will be made on the basis of the scores obtained in the examination.
- To be eligible for the job roles, aspirants have to clear the GATE examination and achieve a good score in it. Also, one must secure cut-off marks announced by the companies.
- Public Sector Companies accept the score of the present year and for some posts in which they accept the score of previous year examination too.
- Some PSUs use the GATE scores and initiate their recruitment process based on them. At the same time, some companies use these scores for shortlisting the candidates for interview, test or group discussion.
While qualifying the examination is one of the major eligibility criteria, there are other requirements too. Along with a valid GATE score, applicants are required to possess other criteria as given below:
- Age Limit
- Pass percentage or CGPA obtained during Graduation
- Medical Standards
The eligibility criteria may vary for each PSU. For more information on eligibility criteria and cut-off marks, visit here.
Application Procedure through GATE
The applications for PSU recruitment begins soon after the commencement of the online registrations of GATE examination. The application forms of different organizations are available on their official websites. There are separate application forms and application fees applicable to each organization.
Aspirants are required to fill in the application forms and register online. Also, the applicants must upload the correct personal information along with the relevant documents like scanned copies of their photograph, signature, GATE scorecard, and other documents. Candidates are required to pay the application fee, which may vary with every PSU. For some PSUs, aspirants will be asked to provide their GATE registration number which is present on either GATE application form or the admit card.
The tentative application schedule of different PSUs is given in the table below. Applicants can check the number of posts and vacancy details too.
Why Apply to PSUs through GATE?
Many students use GATE scores to bag jobs at top PSUs in India. There are many reasons why aspirants apply to PSUs after clearing GATE exams. These reasons are:
- GATE scores are never manipulated and the shortlisting process is considered to be fair and honest.
- The jobs offered are stable and lucrative with good salary, perks, allowances, and others.
- The perks include Foreign Trips, Extended Leaves and Medical Benefits among many others.
Scope at PSUs through GATE
PSU recruitment based on the scores obtained in GATE offers an extraordinary scope with lucrative salaries to applicants. PSU Jobs are stable and secure jobs as well. The aspirants are awarded senior-level posts and certain perks and allowances as per the post.
Working with PSUs comes with a lot of perks and allowances. The applicants get many benefits like health care facilities, medical expenses, house allowances, and much more. PSUs offer lucrative packages to employees with other incentives. Below is given the package offered by some of the well known PSUs.
- ONGC – ONGC selects test-takers through for the post of Chemist, Geologist, Assistant executive engineering, etc. The aspirants are offered with a package in between INR 24,900 to INR 50,000 per year as per their posts.
- NHAI – The recruitments in NHAI are made for the post of Deputy Managers through this examination. The applicants are employed in Civil Branch and are paid INR 15,600 to INR 39,100.
- MDL- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) releases the vacancies for the post of Mechanical or Technical Executive Trainees. The recruitment is made based on GATE scores. The pay offered to the candidates is INR 40,000 to INR 1,40,000 per month.
- GAIL – The recruitments in GAIL are made through this examination for the post of the executive trainee in different branches like Electrical and Instrumentation, Electronics, Instrumentation and Control, and others. The average pay offered to the applicants is in between INR 24,900 to INR 50,500.
- BPCL- BPCL is the public sector company that recruits candidates for the post of management trainee. The basic salary offered is INR 24,900 per month.
Depending upon the selection criteria of different PSUs, the candidates are required to obtain a good score and clear the required cut off for further selection. The eligibility criteria and selection process may vary for each PSU. Therefore, candidates are advised to have all the information beforehand and plan for GATE accordingly.