13 pair of trains operated from Chhayapuri from 17th December 2019
Suresh C Angadi, Minister of State of Railway will dedicate to nation the newly constructed Chhayapuri Satellite station building, in presence of local public representatives. Chhayapuri station serve as an additional station for city of Vadodara for trains running on Ahmedabad – Ratlam and onwards route. It was a flag station near Vadodara Junction and situated on the bypass chord connecting Vadodara – Ahmedabad line and Vadodara – Ratlam line.
Continuing with several projects at hand, Western Railway has now developed the Chhayapuri station to give ultra modern facilities to the passengers and also ease the heavy traffic congestion at Vadodara.
Ministry of Railways has approved operations of 13 trains from Chhayapuri station from 17th December, 2019 onwards. Western Railway has decided to divert these trains which will be given stoppage at Chhayapuri station.
Vadodara station has typical ‘Y’ shaped junction layout where the line from Mumbai divides into two, one goes towards Ahmedabad and the other goes towards Ratlam – New Delhi. The operation of trains from Ahmedabad to Ratlam – New Delhi route and vice versa requires reversal of train at Vadodara station.
At present 19 pairs of trains are operated from Ahmedabad to Ratlam – Delhi via Vadodara. This requires detaching of engines and attaching it to the other end of train which leads to detention of trains, congestion at Vadodara station as platforms are occupied for longer duration, detention of engine, wastage of man hours.
Vadodara station is a junction station connecting the two very important routes of Mumbai – New Delhi line of Golden Quadrilateral and Mumbai – Ahmedabad line. The station caters to around 200 trains daily and some of the important trains that halt at Vadodara station are Mahamana Express, Rajdhani Express, Duronto, Antyodaya and others. It is an A1 category station and has 7 platforms. In last 5years, 80 new trains were added and the number will further increase in future.
In future the National High Speed Rail Corridor passing through Vadodara has also planned a station at Vadodara. The construction work of high speed tracks will require closure of platform No. 6 & 7 for longer duration thereby further congesting the Vadodara station. Chhayapuri station will turn saviour for passengers and commuters in that area as it will ease the congestion of Vadodara station.
Chhayapuri station has 2 full length platforms (for 26 coach trains) and 2 loop lines. Hence, the trains on Ahmedabad – Ratlam line and vice versa will not be required to undergo reversal at Vadodara Junction. This will save around 27 minutes per train and ease Vadodara station of congestion. The total cost of the project is around Rs. 43 crores. This will pave way for introduction of more train on these routes and also improve the punctuality. The areas surrounding the Chhayapuri station will see a spurt in development as the new station will open the doors to opportunities and convenience.
Some of the benefits of the project are:
● It will eliminate reversal of trains at Vadodara. Trains will now move through chord line avoiding the Vadodara Jn. This will reduce the travel time by 30-40mins.
● This will free 4 critical paths at Vadodara improving mobility and punctuality.
● Loco movement to and from shed will reduce thereby decongesting Vadodara area.
● Chhayapuri will be a new ‘NSG-4’ class station in Vadodara area. Trains can be given preference here. This will increase terminal capacity of Vadodara area.
● It will reduce vehicular traffic congestion around Vadodara Railway station.
● It will reduce the requirements of shunters at Vadodara resulting in increase in crew availability for freight trains.
● Satellite stations help in expansion of cities and reducing congestion in city center. Surrounding areas of Chhayapuri station will see development as a result of this station.
Salient features of the New Chhayapuri Satellite Station:
• There are two Main Lines and 2 Loop Lines of full length.
• Station has two full length platforms to accommodate 26 coach trains.
• Currently there are two lifts and one foot over bridge at the station.
• Operation from Chhayapuri station will save approx.. 27 mins per train.
• A total of 19 pairs of trains (including weekly trains) can be diverted.
• The new station will be equipped with state-of-the-art facilities & offices.
• The total cost of the project is Rs. 43 crores.
To ease the traffic and engine reversal at Vadodara station, the division decides to divert 13 important trains from Chhayapuri from 17 December. The trains will be given the stoppage at Chhayapuri and the booking of advance reservation will be starting from 31st August 2019.
The diverted trains are-:
1) 19165/19166 Ahmedabad – Darbhanga Sabarmati Express
2) 19167/19168 Ahmedabad – Varanasi Sabarmati Express
3) 12947/12948 Ahmedabad – Patna Azimabad Superfast Express
4) 12917/12918 Ahmedabad – Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin Sampark Kranti Express
5) 11463/1 1464 Somnath – Jabalpur Express (via Itarsi)
6) 11465/11466 Somnath – Jabalpur Express (via Beena)
7) 19309/19310 Gandhinagar – Indore Express
8) 19575/19576 Okha – Nathdwara Express
9) 12477/12478 Jamnagar – Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Superfast Express
10) 12475/12476 Hapa Shree Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Sarvodaya Superfast Express
11) 12473/12474 Gandhidham – Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Sarvodaya Superfast Express
12) 15046/15045 Okha – Gorakhpur Express
13) 19421/19422 Ahmedabad-Patna Express