It’s a matter of pride for Vadodara and Gujarat as Guru Sharad Pandya (Exponent of Classical dance Bharatanatyam) has been awarded “Honorary Doctorate” from the international Open University”, USA, on the basis of efficiency, excellency, experience & virtues.
He has received this for his contribution to performing arts and his selfless efforts in preservation and promotion for Indian culture values and ethos through classical dance. He is the only Artist in India, to received this honor.
He feels his responsibility increases more after this and that he is humbled to have received this honour. He is the founder- Director of Purva School of Bharatanatyam- Vadodara.
GURU SHARAD PANDYA is a Bharatanatyam exponent and Founder – Director of ‘Purva School of Bharatanatyam’ in Baroda. He is Internationally acclaimed Bharatanatyam performer, devoted teacher and a celebrated choreographer.
He is the Author of ‘Nirtya Shastra’ – A text on Indian classical dance. Cultural ambassador – represented Indian performing arts at several festivals of national & international repute.
Talking about his presentations outside India he visits Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, Thailand, Kampuchea, Vietnam, Mauritius, Pakistan, U.S.S.R & U.S.A.
Among the Awards & honors he received
- OYP – Outstanding young person’s award
- Banyan City Junior Chambers award
- Felicitation at Swami Haridas Mahotsav – Vrindavan
- Felicitation at Konark Festival -Konark
- Felicitation by students & parents of Purva at Silver Jubilee celebrations
- Sanskar award by Sanskar parivar
- Felicitation by Baroda Municipal Corporation
- Felicitation by Chief Minister of Gujarat Shri Narendra Modi in Vibrant Gujarat Festival
As a teacher: he is teaching students for over 35 years imparting education to students from different parts of the state as well as different cities from India.
Teaching students at Purva School of Bharatanatyam following the Gurukul parampara. He also is imparting education to students from Russia, Brazil, America, France, Austria, Spain & Mauritius. Conducted workshops for teaching students in Pakistan.Provided lectures & demonstrations for students at various institutions & colleges.
As performer he performed at festivals such as –
- The Festival of India in Russia.
- The International Festival of Performing Arts, Bangkok
- ICCR Sangeet Nritya Mahotsav, New Delhi
- December Dance Festival, Chennai
- Nitya Nritya Festival, Bangalore
- Kalidas Samaroh, Ujjain
- Swarna Sankhya Dance Festival, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mysore
- Uttarardh Utsav of Classical Dance Festival, Modhera
- Choreography Festival, Calcutta
- International Classical Dance Festival, New Delhi
- Gujarat Sangeet Natak Academy Festival Bhavnagar
- Centenary celebration of GRG foundation, Coimbatore
- December Dance Festival-Madras.
- South Sea Port Festival-USA
- ICCR Classical Dance Festival – New Delhi.
- Chinmaya Mission, New Delhi and several others.
He performed in various cities in India such as Delhi, Jaipur, Banaras, Ujjain, Vrindavan, Kanpur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Mysore, Hyderabad, Coimbatore, Bhavnagar, Surat, Ahmedabad, and Vadodara etc.