Fire department going to give notice to the company asking about the reason and the action afterwards
The building collapse in Vadodara is the fall out of negligence on the part of the company known for building the Statue of Unity at Kevadia. The fire department is going to give the notice to the company asking about the reason and the action afterwards. Total two persons are confirmed dead in the building collapse on Saturday afternoon and fire brigade team worked day and the whole night in the rescue efforts and later to clear the debris from the spot. NDRF team also joined them in the evening to assist them in relief operations.
The building belongs to L&T engineering and demolition work is going on there for quite some time. On Saturday a part of the building collapsed after the contractor started demolish the part of the building carries the whole load of the structure. To everyone shock the whole building came crashing down in minutes and many feared trapped under it. The fire brigade called it a major call and reached the spot with hydraulic cutters, spreader, comitool and other equipments to first rescue the trapped under and later to clear the debris.
After day and night work they retrieve two bodies from inside the debris and later clear it from the spot. Vadodara NDRF team also joined them in rescue efforts and extensively used their canine unit, specially their newly trained German Shepherd dog to help locate the trapped and assist them in their efforts.
Kaiful Burekhan Pathan and his nephew Abdul Vahid declared dead in the incident as fire brigade jawans retrieve the later body around midnight from the debris. After nearly 24 hours operation the technical team of L&T took over the proceedings.
“The incident was the total negligence of the company like L&T known for its high safety standards and behind the making of Statue of Unity. The company gives the contract to Shiv Scrap Construction company and they instead give the work to a third agency. What is more alarming was without any work experience and safety measures they began to break the poclain the load distributor of the whole building and in few minutes the building first topple and then collapsed trapped the operator and many other people present there,” said Om Jadeja Fire officer.
He further said after the call total six teams respond to the call and began rescue work using the ultramodern urban search equipments. “After the call we retrieve the first casualty Kaiful Pathan at around 3.30pm and second body at 11.15 in the night. We used high sensitive devices, cameras along with other urban search equipments to first search for the trapped and retrieve the two casualties. NDRF also joined with their canine unit in the search operation. Working whole night we managed to clear the 90% debris and the remaining 10% till 2pm on Sunday. 62 firemen, four officers, three JCB, eight dumpers and others for the relief work,” said Jadeja.
Jadeja further added that the incident was total negligence on the part of the company and they are going to serve notice to them asking about the reason and action afterwards. He said the contract was given to non competent agency which carried out the work without taking any necessary permission regarding safety and the expertise to demolish the building. Third no safety professional was present there and only one JCB was used for the demolition. The incident is a live example of negligence and now gives their report mentioning their damage control policy which allows only the licence agencies to carry out such work.