Will wash the whole train quickly and save water
The first automatic rail coach washing plant in the state has been started at Vadodara railway station. The facility will wash the whole train in 8 to 10 minutes. Importantly, this coach washing system will use only 20 percent of the fresh water behind each train while the remaining 80 percent will be recycled and used.
Ranoli’s Oriental Manufacturing Company of Vadodara has built the first rail coach machine in Gujarat and installed it in the Memu Shed of Vadodara Railway station. The speciality of this machine is that, this can wash a train of 24 coaches in just 10 minutes and also save 950 liters of water per coach.
According to Chirag Patel, Deputy General Manager, Oriental Manufacturing Company, the technology is being used for train washing abroad and after study the indigenous system has been developed by the company. This automatic washing plant will save water from timely washing of rail coaches.
Generally, washing a coach of Indian Railways wastes about 1200 liters of water. Against which this automatic washing system will use only 250 liters of new water and the rest of the water will be recycled and used and thus saving about 950 liters of water.
Importantly, the washing of railway coaches employs up to 24 employees at a time and that also leads to waste of time as employees are also stuck in the work. However in this automatic washing system only two people operated the machine and will wash the train at a speed of only 4 kilometers per hour.
Auto Coach Washing Plant (ACWP) in MEMU car shed, Vadodara. Some of the major Benefits of installation of ACWP at MEMU Shed vadodara are listed below:
Less turnaround time of MEMU rakes coming for maintenance and washing and hence increase availability of rake for services. A typical rake of 12 coaches takes only 10-12 minutes for exterior washing.
Manpower cost and water saving.
After comparing cost per coach (588 Rs) of last LOA and Cost per coach (281 Rs) of new sanctioned estimate which include only internal cleaning. Assuming current usage at 30 Coach/day – yearly saving will be around Rs. 26, 45,082 /-. Apart from this as only 30% fresh water required for washing through ACWP per coach water saving comes to be around 210 Ltrs i.e. yearly saving of around 22,99,500 Ltrs.
Improved Quality of Exterior Washing-
Controlled application of detergent leads to consistent cleaning, no damage to exterior colors and optimum use of material and hence consistent washing quality without damage to paints and compromising on aesthetic look of coaches.
Future Scope for Better Utilisation of ACWP:
Currently 30 MEMU Coaches /day are being washed with the ACWP. AS per projected increase in holding of MEMU coaches as more routes after electrification expected to run MEMU services washing capacity will be enhanced to 60-60 Coaches/day.
Capacity of ACWP is around 240 Coaches/day. Further Mainline coaches based at Vadodara can be washed at MEMU Shed ACWP for better utilisation of Machine and further saving of man power and water cost can be achieved .
Summing up of all the benefits of Auto Coach Washing Plant (ACWP) commissioned in MEMU Car shed, BRCY, it can be said that it will be a great service to the nation by decreasing the expenditure and at the same time preserving natural resources of nation and provide clean and hygienic travel experience to the valued customers in accordance to Railway Boards policy of SWACHH RAIL and SWACHH BHARAT mission.