Completed 100 years today
Western Railway General Manager A.K. Gupta inspected the Pratapnagar carriage and wagon workshop on the day it completed 100 years of existence. He also handover the serviced 1000th wagon this year into service after POH (Periodic overhaul) inside the workshop.
The GM also inaugurated the locker room inside the workshop. Top railway officials are remain present during the inspection along with the rolling staff and employees of Pratapnagar workshop. Cultural programme was also organised to celebrate the 100th year of the workshop. The day was also celebrated as the electric loco shed also completes its 46th foundation year.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WORKSHOP
Pratapnagar workshop’s foundation stone was laid on 25th March 1919 by Lord Chelmsford Viceroy and Governor General of British India. Initially the workshop started functioning as part of Gaikwad Baroda State Railway and was subsequently handed over to BB&CI Railway.
Initially, NG/MG coaches and wagons were manufactured and NG steam locos assembled in the workshop.Periodic overhaul of this rolling stock was also carried out. The workshop also made wooden and steel furniture and other regal furnishings for royal palaces and saloons.
After independence, Pratapnagar workshop was merged into Western Railway on 15thNov. 1951. For the first 40 years after that, the workshop had been carrying out the maintenance of tank wagons (BGOT and BTPN) and NG coaches. In Jan 2010, IOH of ICF trolleys was also. In 2014-15, ROH activity was discontinued and POH of BG wagons was started in full force.