Today is the birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar. Ambedkar Jayanti is observed as Equality Day in India. Fondly called Babasaheb, BR Ambedkar stood firmly for the rights of Dalits and untouchables.
He also fought the rights of women and said that “I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved”. BR Ambedkar, the ‘architect of the Indian constitution’, was a freedom fighter, an economist and a jurist. He was the force behind the Dalit Buddhist Movement in India.
Babasaheb Ambedkar worked tirelessly towards a society where everyone is treated as equals. He was India’s first Minister of Law and Justice. BR Ambedkar remains an inspiration across generations.
In a message shared by the President’s Secretariat, Kovind said, “On the birth anniversary of the architect of the Constitution of India, Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, I extend my heartiest congratulations and best wishes to all the fellow citizens.”
He added, “All through his inspiring life, Dr Ambedkar charted his unique path in the midst of extreme adversity and earned commendations for his extraordinary and multi-faceted achievements.”
The President said that Ambedkar was an ardent advocate of human rights, who set up the ‘Bahishkrit Hitakarini Sabha’ with the aim of improving the socio-economic status of the people of deprived communities of India and for the spread of education amongst them.
“Dr Ambedkar envisioned a better and just society and fought for it throughout his life. He wanted to create a modern India where there would be no prejudice on the basis of caste or any other reason; where women and communities subjected to backwardness for centuries would enjoy equity of economic and social rights,” the President said in a message.
Prime Minister Modi also extended greetings using his official Twitter account. He said that Ambedkar’s struggle to bring the deprived sections of the society into the mainstream will continue to be an example for every generation.
Meanwhile, the BJP’s scheduled castes’ ‘morcha’ will hold events in polling booths across the country on Wednesday to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Dalit icon.
The Congress party will also be launching its YouTube channel on Wednesday with a small documentary on Mahatma Gandhi and Bhimrao Ambedkar.
- ”They cannot make history who forget history”
- “A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society”
- “So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you”
- “Political tyranny is nothing compared to the social tyranny and a reformer who defies society is a more courageous man than a politician who defies Government:
- “Cultivation of mind should be the ultimate aim of human existence”
- “The relationship between husband and wife should be one of closest friends”
- “Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering Otherwise both will wither and die”
- “Life should be great rather than long”
- “I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved”
- “I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality and fraternity”