Celebrated on the theme biodiversity – Time for Nature, a concern that is both urgent and existential
On Friday NGO All In Development (AID), celebrated 9th “Greenathon-2020” as a part of World Environment Day Celebrations on the theme biodiversity – Time for Nature, a concern that is both urgent and existential.
Every year more than 10,000 people join the event but his year due Corona pandemic we have scaled down public gatherings, and walk for environment awareness was cancelled but large scale spread of environment days messages are carried out through social media campaigns as a part of World Envrionment Day celebrations. A symbolic Display of posters for environment protection and around theme of WED 2020.
The theme is extremely relevant because human beings are part of the ecosystem and cannot continue to survive in isolation. Biodiversity is the foundation that supports all life on land and below water.
It affects every aspect of human health, providing clean air and water, nutritious foods, scientific understanding and medicine sources, natural disease resistance, and climate change mitigation. Changing, or removing one element of this web affects the entire life system and can produce negative consequences.
Recent events, from bushfires in Brazil, the United States, & Australia to locust infestations across East Africa and now, a global disease pandemic – demonstrate the interdependence of humans and the webs of life, in which they exist.
“As far as Envrionment of Vadodara is Concerened Covid -19 had a noticeable positive impact on Environment We could feel Cleaner air, Bluer sky and visibility increased due to reduction in Particulate matter. Many of these will continue post lock down and will have its impact on the environment for a sustained period. But there is a possibility that all these will be forgotten in race to revive economy and we will further deteriorate environment,” said Ami Ravat, Executive director AID, Muni Councillor VMC.
She also added, Vadodara Municipal should ensure that following measures are taken to ensure clean Air, drinking water & cleaner environment for Barodians.
1. Have to now focus on more efficient public transport and cycle bays, etc
2. Focus on Nodal development to reduce burden on old city.
3. Need to address domestic waste on priority.
4. Vadodara Municipal Corporation is a Major contributor to pollution in Vishvamitri river, and has to ensure that all sewer outfalls are immediately diverted to Effluent treatment plant & 100 % effluent is treated before being discharged to River. At present 60 % effluent is discharged untreated in River Vishvamitri.
5. Scientific Bio-shield should developed around river Vishvamitri as per Vaho Vishvamitri model and grow more than 1 crore trees a around Vishvamitri river to revive it.
6. Target of Mission Million tree is substantially under achieved, Vadodara has lost more 2 lac tree inspite of Mission Million trees, and massive plantation drive is needed in the city.