The Universal Children’s Day is celebrated on November 20 each year to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide.
UNICEF, The United Nations Children’s Fund, promotes this day and also works towards improving children’s welfare.
In some areas UNICEF holds events to draw particular attention to children’s rights. These may be to stimulate interest in the media around the world or to start nationwide campaigns, for instance on the importance of immunizations or breastfeeding.
Many countries, including Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, hold Universal Children’s Day events on November 20 & other countries hold events on different dates like in INDIA UNIVERSAL CHILDREN’S DAY is celebrated on 14th Nov.on the birth anniversary of pandit JAWAHAR LAL NEHRU the First Prime Minister of independent india.
The constitution of india give some special rights to children for their overall growth
1) Right to be protected from any hazardous employment till the age of 14 years.(Article 24)
2) Right to free and compulsary elementary education for all child in the 6-14 year.(Article 21 A)
3) Right to equal opportunity and facilities to develop in a healthy mannner and in condition of freedom and dignity and guaranteed protection of childhood and youth against exploitation and against moral & material abandonment.(Article 39 f )
4) Right to be protected from being abused and forced by economic necessity to enter ocupation unsuited to their age & strength (Article 39 e )
5) Right to early childhood care & education to all children untill they comlete the age of 6 years (Article 45)
Though there are lots of rights in our constitution for the protection of the children , but is it really executed in effective manner ?